Live Nation has settled a lawsuit brought by a concertgoer, who alleged that security at a Luke Bryan gig allowed a fight to happen that led to him suffering a brain injury.
The lawsuit was raised by a concertgoer called Gary Stanhope in 2024. He alleged that when he attended a concert at the Xfinity Theater in Hartford, Connecticut in 2022, he stepped in to help a woman who was being assaulted, which then led to a prolonged fight breaking out.
At the venue, which is owned by Live Nation, the fight saw him “assaulted and violently beaten” by another concertgoer “without any specific cause or provocation”, Stanhope’s lawyers argued.
His legal team also claimed that their client was knocked out during the fight, and hit his head on the pavement – causing permanent brain injuries and affecting his ability to work.
In the filing against Live Nation, Stanhope argued that the concert promotions company did not provide a safe environment for concertgoers on the night. He also said that security failed to intervene in the fight.
In response, Live Nation moved the case to federal court and argued that it hired over 100 security guards and over a dozen police officers to be present at the gig. It also outlined how there was screening in place for visitors to ensure a safe environment on the night.
Live Nation Settles Lawsuit Over Brain Injury at Luke Bryan Concert https://t.co/aI6bXA3cm7
— Law Commentary (@LawCommentary) August 17, 2026
Live Nation also claimed that Stanhope was injured as a result of the criminally reckless conduct behaviour of other people at the show – something they said they had no control over.
The concert promotions company tried to have the lawsuit thrown out at first, but this idea was denied by a judge, who ruled that Stanhope had enough evidence to raise the question about whether or not security was adequate for the gig.
Now, before the lawsuit has headed to court, the two sides have mutually settled the legal dispute.
Details about the settlement have not been disclosed, although it is widely reported that the agreement was made in July, and the lawsuit was thrown out last week.
Live Nation were involved in other legal action earlier this year too, and in April a jury ruled that its merger with Ticketmaster meant it was illegally operating as a monopoly and overcharging fans.
After a seven-week trial and four days of deliberations, Live Nation – which merged with Ticketmaster in 2010 – was found to have stifled competition, leading to higher ticket prices and inferior customer service. Live Nation has claimed that “the jury’s verdict is not the last word on this matter”.
The post Live Nation settles lawsuit over a fight at a Luke Bryan concert that left a fan with brain injury appeared first on NME.

